Thursday, March 21, 2013

55 Words - "Cries of Desperation"



The challenge 

"Write a 55-word fictional story on any subject. Use exactly 55 words. The title does not count towards the 55 character count."

I had been looking for a writing contest and figured I could do this - 55 words, how hard could that be? Harder than you think.


A story - so it needs to have a real plot, conflict, a rise and fall in the action, a resolution to some problem, characters of some depth. All in 55 words - exactly 55 words. But I did it. And so far the reviews have been great! 

We shall see where I place in the competition, but since it apparently isn't completely awful, I thought I would share it with you. Here it goes! Oh - profanity alert, just two words, in case it matters to you. 



Cries of Desperation

“I’m going to fucking shoot myself!” from the apartment below.

Heart pounding in her ears, she calls 9-1-1.  Someone else already called. Police are on the way.

Unintelligible screaming.

He’s 15! Damn drugs.

She watches outside as police rush to his door and pound on it. When they enter, female sobs drift out.

Bang. Silence.    

No comments:

Post a Comment