Wednesday, February 20, 2013

An Ethereal Word Wednesday

This week I asked my lovely daughter to pick the word we would look at today. And, like the angel she is, she picked "ethereal".  A beautiful choice! So what is the definition of ethereal? Here's what I found:

ethereal (comparative more ethereal, superlative most ethereal)
  1. Pertaining to the hypothetical upper, purer air, or to the higher regions beyond the earth or beyond the atmosphere; celestial; otherworldly; as, ethereal space; ethereal regions.  [quotations ▼]
  2. Consisting of ether; hence, exceedingly light or airy; tenuous; spiritlike; characterized by extreme delicacy, as form, manner, thought, etc.  [quotations ▼]
  3. Delicate, light and airy.
Celestial, light, airy - I like that!  Like many English words it comes from Latin - specifically from "aetherius" which means "of or pertaining to the ether, the sky or the air or upper air".  Brings to mind angels, clouds, blue skies, the heavens!  

So I went on Google and typed in "ethereal art".  Here are three completely random choices from the images that appeared as a result of that search.

Dance in Ethereal by brideinblacklace on deviantart.com




Ethereal Aquarium Mixed Media by Steed Edwards

Primal Serpent by Marcia Snedecor
I think they all have a light, airy heavenly feel to them.  Very nice! So what about music? What music would be considered ethereal? I was thinking Enya, or something similar.  I searched YouTube to see what they thought.  I typed in "ethereal music" and picked the video with the most views from the list that appeared.  Here is what I got!  I love it!


What a great word! Ethereal! I hope you all have a heavenly day!

No comments:

Post a Comment