Thursday, February 14, 2013

Single on Valentine's Day Sucks

I’m not normally one to complain.  I try to look on the bright side of things, find the positive, the beauty, but today I make an exception.  Today is Valentine’s Day and I’m single and it sucks. 

The being single part has it’s good points and it’s bad points.  I’d rather be single than with the wrong person. When I was married the SOB gave me a dozen long stem red roses every Valentine's Day but treated me like crap the other 364 days of the year.  You couldn't pay me to go back to that. I have grown and become stronger in many ways as a single person because I have had no choice. But on February 14, being single sucks.



I will see flowers delivered to others at work today.  I will see co-workers go out with their significant others for a special lunch.  Tomorrow I will hear about the fabulous night they were treated to tonight.  My daughter will come home and tell me about the fabulous gift that her boyfriend gave her.  Even my 13 year old son will come home and tell me how much his girlfriend liked the teddy bear and candy he gave her.  



I will have no such tales, no such gifts.  If I turn on the TV tonight there are bound to be love stories on and I will likely click right past them and pull out the very good horror story I’m reading right now! (Review coming soon!) 



I won’t be a grouch today though.  I will smile and celebrate the happiness of my friends and family right along with them.  I will “Ooo” and “Aah” over the new jewelry that my co-workers bring in tomorrow to show off.  And I truly will be happy for them.  But I will also secretly feel lonely and left out and wish that I had similar experiences to share about this year’s Valentine’s Day.  Have I mentioned that it really sucks?




But it’s 24 hours, well maybe 48 if you count all the stuff I’ll have to hear about tomorrow.  Actually I have some friends who will celebrate this weekend so I’ll probably hear more of it on Monday.  Anyway, the point is that it won’t last forever.  And I am able to push out the negative thoughts in my mind.  I’ll occupy my mind with that book or some music or work or writing.  I will undoubtedly write something related to how I feel, they are feelings that my character would feel at some point. And in a few days it will be over and everyone will be back to normal. 



I do truly hope that if you have a sweetheart you have a wonderful Valentine’s Day.  Do something special for them.  Let them know how much they mean to you.  Give her flowers or wine or the dress she was admiring at the mall last weekend. Have his favorite breakfast waiting for him at the kitchen table when he gets up in the morning. Buy her a candle with her favorite scent. Life is short and love is precious. Let them know how you feel.


Have a fabulous one everybody.  Think I’ll buy myself a bottle of wine tonight and cozy up with a good horror story!

No comments:

Post a Comment