Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Amo L'Italia


I have done a few posts the last couple of weeks about the movie “Eat Pray Love”. It's a good movie, not a great one, but it has some good life lessons and allows us to see some beautiful parts of the world. This movie was the beginning of my love for Italy and its people's passion for life

In one scene a character named of Luca Spaghetti (love the name!) says that Americans don’t know how to enjoy life. He says we have to schedule our fun. We kill ourselves working all week, go home and drink a six-pack on Friday night and wake up feeling awful. Pretty dang close Luca! However, Italians, he says, they just enjoy life every day. They enjoy their wine. They experience their food instead of being so hurried that they don’t even taste it. The movie portrays eating as more than consuming food. Both preparing it and eating it are about love, friends, and family.  


There is an important restaurant scene with Liz and her Italian tutor soon after she arrives in Italy. So many things in this simple scene that I love. The mood of the scene isn’t romantic whatsoever, but the shots of each of them cutting into their food are mouth-watering and seductive. Liz learns a beautiful new word at that meal that foreshadows the end of the movie – attraversiamo.  It means “let’s cross over”. Even the Italian language is beautiful and seductive. There is one more thing in this scene that I like because it made me laugh. After she learns to speak “attraversiamo” correctly, she tells her tutor that she has an English word to teach him.  She picks up the large carafe of wine that they are drinking with lunch, does a Vannah White hand wave in front of it and says “therapist”. :)  Love it!

Besides all this, I’m in love with Italy because it’s just gorgeous. The waterways of Venice, the architecture, balconies and flowers. The fountains and outdoor restaurants, the music.  It seduces me, I’m in love.

In everything, I have a wide range of taste.  When someone asks me to pick a favorite anything, it’s difficult. Book genres – I like horror, some romance, historical fiction, some science fiction, everything. In art, I like modern and classic. And in music, there is some of every kind that I enjoy, including opera. 

I can’t think of Italy without thinking of opera. So I leave you with the awesomeness of Lucianno Pavarotti singing "Nessun Dorma". Ciao i miei amici!
 






2 comments:

  1. In the first place...LP singing Nesum Dorma ALWAYS makes me cry. It is so beautiful. In the second place, I read that Americans take an average of 13 vacation days a year while Italians take 42!! No wonder we need to schedule our fun ;)
    Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words Leti! Italy is way up on my bucket list! One of these days I'll go and just stay as long as I want. Maybe an entire summer! In the meantime I'll drool over all things Italian from a distance! As far as Pavarotti, I don't care what he's singing, I cry. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete